A brief tutorial on how to submit this year's Club Officer Election Report (COER) in your Optimist Leaders club page.
Prepared By: Opt Wendy Skoretz and Opt Gord Welling
Optimist International requires that each club submit a "Club Officer Election Report" (COER) by May 20th each year to report the election of the incoming President and election/appointment of the incoming Secretary and Treasurer. Each club has two options:
- complete a paper form and mail it to distribution list specified on the bottom of the form, OR
- submit an online COER from optimistleaders.org.
Why is the COER so important?
Each year, your District Secretary Treasurer will produce a District Directory and set of Contact Cards using the information provided from the COER submissions. Since there is a monetary cost to producing printed District Directories, the DST will make every effort to ensure that the club information is as accurate as possible. If clubs fail to file a COER, your club listing in the District Directory and Contact Cards may be incorrect.
Steps to submit an online COER
The current Club President or Secretary can submit the COER.
- Step 1 - Login into optimistleaders.org.
- Step 2 - Click on Reports in the side bar below Invoices / Payments.
- Step 3 - Click the Club Officer-Elect Report button.
- Step 4 - Select the President radio button and then click on the club member that will fill that position for the next Optimist year. The individual's club number, full name and email address will be displayed. If the email address is not correct, modify it.
- Step 5 - repeat Step 4 for the Secretary and Treasurer positions. If one person will be serving as a Secretary-Treasurer, then select the same person for each position.
- Step 6 - Once all of the positions have been identified, click the Submit button. That's it ... you are done.
What if I want to submit a paper COER?
Clubs are free to submit a paper copy of the Club Officer-Elect Report using the COER Form available from Optimist International. Just complete the form and mail it to the OI office (or the OI Canada office for Canadian clubs) by the deadline.
What if I miss the reporting deadline?
All clubs are encouraged to file their COER by the reporting deadline to qualify for Honor or Distinguished club status for the current year. If you miss the deadline, you can still file a COER at any time after May 20th. To ensure that your club's information is accurate, you should file no later than mid-September.